Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Smokers Beware.....

Ok, so every once and awhile I take a hiatus from the kids on this blog to bring you a rant or a rave. Well my rant today is about smokers. I. Hate. Cigarette. Smoke. Hate. Yup, I used the word hate. I also cannot tolerate people who think it is ok to smoke around me (7 months pregnant) or my two kids. Based on lets say the last 20 years of studies that are out there, we are QUITE aware that smoking is lethal. Second hand smoke is also lethal. There are studies out there stating that 3rd hand smoke is lethal (the residue left on your clothes, hands and hair). So tell me why I should put up with YOU Mr. Smoker at the park smoking inches from me and my children? Why is that not a crime? I am not allowed to go 90 miles an hour down a residential road because it could be potentially fatal to anyone getting in my path. Well seems the same to me. Yet I somehow manage to bite my tongue and let the guy continue filling the park area (fenced mind you) with smoke. Why? Because I am nice? Because I don't want to make a scene? You know I really don't know why. It seems to me that it would be common courtesy for someone to smoke over yonder about 100 yards (still within eyesight of the fenced playground). Maybe I have more manners than most. Somehow I don't believe that. I just think that they are unaware of anyone but themselves. UGH.

So smokers beware around me and my children. I have taught my adorable, dimple cheeked, sweet-as-a-button 3.5 year old to state loudly "EWWWWW CIGARETTE SMOKE STINKS. THOSE THINGS CAUSE CANCER." Frankly, I don't care if you don't like it, it is true, and you are rude for doing that disgusting habit around me and my children.

All of this being probably the most unchristian viewpoint (love your neighbor), I also encourage anyone who is thinking quitting smoking to take the leap. I will be your biggest cheerleader. I am so proud of you. I know it is not easy, but man how much your life will change for the better.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, Sister!

DESTINY said...

I hear ya! Graham goes every other weekend to his grandparents (my ex-inlaws) and his Granny smokes. I just recently heard about 3rd hand smoke. Ewwww! I am freakin'. He never smells of smoke! We have a ban here that no one is to smoke in a public place. Do you not have that there? I rarely see someone smoking anymore because of the ban. I think it's funny to see people in gowns out front of a hospital smoking, while holding their IUV pole. Goodness--- they missed their wake-up call!